Cadillac Owners Forum banner
4K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  Wienk 
#1 ·
How do I remove the shift knob :confused:

G
#6 ·
Was looking for pictures of the knob removal steps, not the actual new knob, unless it is cool too! :) If you're really ambitious, let's see the guts of that shifter to see if one from a different car will work! :coolgleam

#8 ·
Put tranny in reverse, put some forward pressure on knob and pull straight up. The knob basically snaps on the shifter rod. The reason I know is I thought mine was a screw on knob and tried to turn it and broke the plastic inside the knob. (They are replacing under warranty. The knob and boot assembly cost 175.00)When I pulled it straight up it came off. You will see once it's off the notch on the shifter rod that it snaps in to. The boot and trim release at the back of the console area and there are tabs at the front of the boot. It's actually quite easy to remove. There is about a two inch thick piece of foam between the console and transmission hump for noise. Anymore questions, let me know.

Shane

#9 ·
OK, so I tried all of the above and Shane's version worked. Thanks Shane :worship:

While I did the install, I noticed that the shift boot is really stiff leather. So I used some of the oil I usually apply to my motorcycle jacket.
Don't use your typical shoe spray as it contains sealers - not needed here – which actually harden the leather even more. :tisk:
BTW: I have fairly small hands, that’s why I prefer the new knob (MOMO).:burn:

Attachments

#13 ·
Shane:

Thanks for the instructions. :hmm:Just to clarify one point, when you say "The boot and trim release at the back of the console area", do you mean the end toward the back of the car, or the end farthest from the driver?

I have installed a brushed aluminum console kit and I sure don't want to screw up the finish by trying to remove the wrong end when I install my Mallet shifter.

Thanks!

#15 ·
I ordered the brushed aluminum dashkit here...

http://www.dashkitstore.com/dashes.php?gid=735

That is a picture of my dash that I sent them after installing the kit. The material is a flat plastic with real brushed aluminum foil bonded to the face of the material. You have to be careful to line up the material with the knobs and buttons on the dash. I screwed up two pieces by trying to peel them off to realign them, but I was able to order replacement pieces.

The CTS-V inlay is chrome, which really accents the brushed aluminum nicely.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.