1991 Fleetwood FWD
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Reviews Discussion, 1991 Fleetwood FWD in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Super smooth ride. Lots of power and torque with the trusty 4.9 L. I've only got 31,000 miles, but it ...
    Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

1991 Fleetwood FWD

Super smooth ride. Lots of power and torque with the trusty 4.9 L.

I've only got 31,000 miles, but it has needed nothing except a radio fix due to a faulty circuit board. There are stories on this Forum of cars like mine getting 150,000 miles with no problems other than routine maintenance. There is one with 279,000 miles from this forum and the 4.9 was still running strong when I last talked to him!

If these cars are maintained and cared for they shouldn't be much of a risk if you pick up an older one.

Things to watch for might be the air shocks in rear, and make sure the coolant was changed often along with the supplemental GM pellets/tablets.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Re: 1991 Fleetwood FWD

Ralph. Can you do me a favor? I just added this to my original post in this section:

Please specify "pros" and "cons"..

I think you probably already covered the pros but if there are any cons, please note them..

Thank you...
    If this site has helped you save money, please consider helping it continue to do so. Click here for information!

Not much for cons that I've experienced. I suppose a MILD shake sometimes at idle, but very mild. It's my understanding the Northstars run smoother but it doesn't bother me.

The only other con for now that I can think of would be for the Lexus driver parked next to me envying my classy fins and skirts that are non-existant on any new car today.

Here is something from one of my first posts I forgot about:

"The 4.9 sure has good power. I cannot believe it is only rated at two hundred horse (cannot remember the RPM) Has anyone else experienced leaks? 10 years ago (under warrenty) my dad had to get new oil seals and a tranny pan seal done. At least it sounds like is a pretty reliable engine overall, and thanks for all your past input."

Cruzship is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Looks just like My 93 SDV with skirts. Great review !!

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzship
    Looks just like My 93 SDV with skirts. Great review !!
    Thank you. Post a brief review and a pic. Now I HAVE to see yours.

DopeStar 156 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 STS, 89 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance, 84 Chevy K/10

Ralph, you mentioned the GM coolant with the pellets, does the 4.9 have a problem with warping like the HT4100? Why does it need the pellets?

Quote Originally Posted by DopeStar 156
    Ralph, you mentioned the GM coolant with the pellets, does the 4.9 have a problem with warping like the HT4100? Why does it need the pellets?
    If I'm not mistaken, the pellets help to seal the engine so coolant doesn't eventually get into the oil. If GM recommends it, for the 5 dollar cost of the pellets, I have no problem doing it. I don't recall reading anything about warpage on the 4.9, I think they got it right by 1991. The 4100 had that problem.

I guess my heater core is plugging up possibly because it sits alot and it wasn't winter driven until last year for the first time. (moderately, I might add) It's taking a long time to get any heat.

The coolant was changed a few years ago with the long life orange stuff, I added the supplemental tablets last year. I think even in the summertime, I'll occasionally run the heater to keep coolant flowing through the core to possibly help prevent sediment from plugging it. Just like how I run the AC for 5 minutes a month in winter to help keep the AC seals conditioned from lack of use as recommended in the Chilton's service manual.

I don't know if the "T" fitting can plug up or not but its never been touched.

Came back from a road trip a few days ago with almost 33,000 MILES now and still getting 30+ MPG on the highway! Very impressed!

Not too impressed that GM doesn't stock much in the way of parts for my car now. Last month I needed an upper rad hose and the ONLY one available in all of Canada had to be ordered in from Ontario! I know that it is getting old, but I can get a rad hose for a 1980 Pontiac anywhere, even the corner auto parts store.

At least the heater core was very reasonable at $100.

MachX is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1991 Sedan deVille 4.9L/1994 Lincoln Town Car 4.6L

Dunno how old the post is, but the sealant pellets for these cars are required because the aluminum heads are porous, which means that they can 'sweat' coolant. The pellets dissolve and add a 'layer' of material to the inside of the heads to prevent them from doing this.

MachX is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1991 Sedan deVille 4.9L/1994 Lincoln Town Car 4.6L

The pellets are required because the 4.x series of engines use aluminum heads that are porous and can 'sweat' coolant. The pellets dissolve and add a layer of material that prevents this. They also provide corrosion protection for the rad and other parts which isn't an unwanted benefit, for sure.

hi all, well this car has still been very good, it is running great and only 52,000 miles I think. The automatic headlight sensor crapped out a couple of years ago and that cost 500 dollars, the brake master cylender had a leak and the oedal went to the floor and I finally changed the original Michelin tires after 18 years to Goodyear Regatta 2's and all 4 were defective after only 3500 kms, so now it wears Assurance by Goodyear.

peace

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    hi all, well this car has still been very good, it is running great and only 52,000 miles I think. The automatic headlight sensor crapped out a couple of years ago and that cost 500 dollars, the brake master cylender had a leak and the oedal went to the floor and I finally changed the original Michelin tires after 18 years to Goodyear Regatta 2's and all 4 were defective after only 3500 kms, so now it wears Assurance by Goodyear.

peace

oh I forgot to mention that the CCR light came on a few months ago and stays on but I'm not worried about it, when I had the tires off I noticed mild fluid loss from the front shocks, kepp on truckin

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.