warm up question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, warm up question in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; On my other cars I can look at needles to tell me the normal operating temps of the car. In ...
    MrSmith is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

warm up question

On my other cars I can look at needles to tell me the normal operating temps of the car. In my Lack all I have is a speed o meter gadge. and digital readings for gas mileage and etc. About how long before driving is a good idle time? I hate to get in a just drive, I know I need to let some oil get through the engine. but how long is long enough? whats too long?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

daacon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1997 Deville D'Elgance

Re: warm up question

I would suggest it is weather dependant. Colder may take longer - but IMHO computer controled , Fuel Injected engines are good to go at the longest 30 seconds.

later...............dy

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

If this is a fuel injected engine, no need to warm up unless defogging a windshield. If its carberated, then as soon as it runs smoothly, drive it. Please on your next post, list the year of the car, type, and engine size. Might get quicker responses?

Sorry. Im use to cars with one model forums Its a 91' Sedan Deville 4.9 . I never had a cadillac before so its all alittle new to me.

90devilleguy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2002 SLS & 1962 Coupe Deville

i give my 90 caddy about 5-10 minutes weather depending, just until it runs under 1000 rpm(i have a tachometer) then it's good to go.

Geno Castellano is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

The best thing for the car and engine is to start it up and drive it. Idling for warmup is completely unnecessary and just wastes fuel and time. The engine is designed to be operated immediately. It takes about 2 seconds for oil to circulate thru the engine even on the coldest day so that's not an issue. About the only case for waiting to "warm it up" is for the heater to work or the windshield defroster to come up to temp. And even then, the heat and defrost will warm up faster if you drive it.

I'm not condoning jumping in on a cold day, starting the engine and flooring it to 100 miles per hour. Just drive away normally and sanely and the engine and tranny will function fine and warm up best. Idling is absolutely not required. The Northstar engine is actually cold-protected against too high of an RPM as the heavy throttle upshifts will be forced sooner and there is a lower rev limiter on the engine until it warms up sufficiently so you really can't hurt it even if you try. This is a very intelligent system here. The only thing to worry about is the oil pressure cold on high RPM operation. That's why the rev limiter is lowered cold so the oil pump can't overpressurize the system with cold oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Geno Castellano

The Northstar engine is actually cold-protected against too high of an RPM as the heavy throttle upshifts will be forced sooner and there is a lower rev limiter on the engine until it warms up sufficiently so you really can't hurt it even if you try. This is a very intelligent system here. The only thing to worry about is the oil pressure cold on high RPM operation. That's why the rev limiter is lowered cold so the oil pump can't overpressurize the system with cold oil.
    I have northstar??? I dont think I do. 1991 Sedan Deville 4.9

Geno Castellano is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith
    I have northstar??? I dont think I do. 1991 Sedan Deville 4.9
    I hear ya. I'm just providing some detail in regards to the engine warm-up as it pertained to the Northstar also. Since this isn't a specific 4.9 forum and the question was somewhat generic in regard to warmup I thought it might help other readers. It's a pretty common question, actually.

RBraczyk is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

5-10 minutes is pretty good.

viereckc is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have never warmed up my 89 Coupe before driving unless I had to defrost the windsheild. My car has been in the garage 99% of it's parked life. Always warms up faster by driving it.

Sandy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED

My computer, from the time I push "ON" until it's ripe & ready takes 2 minutes. Since I must wait that 2 minutes, I give my Caddy 3 minutes, since the garage is not heated, as is the house. During that time, I eat Tic-Tacs, dial in the stereo and check the gauges & mirrors, then good to go. Winter? She's never been out of the garage between October & mid-April...

sounds good. I think I can stand a few minutes, Im never in that big of a hurry. I feel like, Ill get there when I get there. If Im late, Ill say I got caught behind the school bus.:rolleyes2

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.